10 Oct 2011

Broadcasts - Frieze 2011

To mark the prestigious time of my birthday, oh sorry I mean...The Frieze I'll be producing one radio show per day on the Frieze Art Fair. October is increasingly becoming the month of what is now being called 'art week', and soon most likely art-month in London.

After 6 years of participation from within the fair this is the first year we are taking stock and observing from without. My, it's calm!

Interestingly the Frieze begins to look a lot better from the outside, what with the not-for-profit projects and the satellite events lighting up London like no Fashion week could. Why does London not have a biennial? What does this large commercial fair say about us, about the UK art scene? How if at all, are we participating and as voyeurs, what are we seeing?

These and more are the questions thrown up on tonight and tomorrow's panel discussions. Tonight from 8-9pm I'm joined, in no particular order by the director of MOT International, EBand Flow Gallery, The Cynthia Corbett Gallery and The Aubin Gallery. Tomorrow Gasworks, Camden Arts Centre and the Mica Gallery. Wednesday we may well be airing the interviews I've collected from this year's Emdash Award winner Anahita Razmi and The Frieze sculpture park curator:  David Thorp. Thursday we'll be hearing from Frieze Frame participant Laure Provost and by Friday I'll have made one of those scintillating audio-tasters I've been creating over the years from The Frieze, Art Dubai, Zoo Art Fair, The Art Car Boot Fair and the like.